Monday, May 26, 2014

Two Months of Stuff: The Packing Blog, Part II

Believe it or not, Tanya and I are taking different things.  Yes, that's right, some different things.  And she organizes things much differently than I do.  To honor her words, from here on out, I will be transcribing as Tanya says what she wants to say about her stuff.


This is my pack.  It's not as good as Karis's picture because she didn't focus on my pack.  (Karis here. Yes, we have the same pack in different colors... we don't want to look too nerdy.)


This is an overview of everything that is in my pack.  I'll show you what's in the stuff sacks later.  For now, let's review what's not in stuff sacks.

- Day pack (REI 18L Flash with a Camelback bladder) (Karis again - yes, we have the same day pack.)  Tanya again - Karis wanted to copy me.
- Black flip flops (on top of day pack)
- Carabiner (green) with extra hair ties and a small emergency whistle (about an inch long)
- Lock
- Pair of Smart Wool gloves with E-tips
- Snorkel
- Snorkel mask
- ScotteVest hat with two secret pockets
- Rash guard top and bottom
- Neoprene vest (this may be why stuff is hard to fit in my pack)


In the green stuff sack are our guide books that I have gone through many a time.  I have cut apart the book so that we only take the parts that we need to save on weight and space.  We've consolidated seven books into about an inch of material that we will actually use.


In the picture above, I have:
- Two bandanas
- Triple antibiotic ointment
- Two mini mascaras
- Mosquito repelent
- Hand sanitizer
- Small SPF 45 sunscreen
- Dr. Bronner's magic liquid soap (which I will use for laundry, body wash, shampoo, and anything else I need to clean)
- Small tube of lotion
- Purple stuff sack of a bunch of tampons (because I'm not brave enough for the Diva Cup)
- Toilet paper
- GoGirl (so I can pee anywhere!)
- Small mirror
- Razor with extra cartridge kept in a paper clip so the razor doesn't cut anything
- Mini razors
- Dr. Bronner's solid soap
- J.R. Liggett's solid soap
- Sunscreen stick (for my face)
- Insect bite stick
- Blister protection stick
- Brush/mirror combo
- Toothbrush
- Mini solid perfume
- Super compact facewash cloth
- Q-tips with extra hair ties
- Nail clippers
- Eye liner
- Deodorant
- Baby Powder
- Powder toothpaste

 Underneath all that is my Sea to Summit Toiletries Bag with some body wipes inside.


In the above picture I have a black trash bag.  On top of that, I have a first aid kit.  To the right of that I have my:
- Spork
- Titanium straw
- Ear plugs
- Mini tennis ball (and yes, this will come in handy.  One, I can play catch with it.  And two, I can use it to roll my feet on when my feet are sore.)
- Paracord bracelet that is multipurpose (It has a compass, a fire starter inside, an emergency whistle, and obviously paracord.)

The green little bag I will open up in the following picture so you can see what's in it.  It's my fix-it kit.


You can see at the top I have:
- Safety pins
- Sugru (super awesome: you can patch holes in clothing, repair plastic things, rig up different types of tools... Look it up online.)
- Tenacious tape, and the container is wrapped with duct tape.
- Hair tie
- Dycem (sticky stuff to help you grip things)
- Sewing kit (that I made myself!  It's about the size of a phone battery.)
- Kevlar (super strong string - one strand can hold 200 pounds!  With that said, it can be used to repair any tear on my bag or to tie stuff together, etc.)
- Red zip ties
- The black thing is a roll of double-sided Velcro


In my electronics bag:
- Travel adapter (it took me a while to find a good one)
- Headlamp (Black Diamond - red for night time, as well as a bunch of other settings)
- Spare camera battery
- Goal Zero charger (essentially acts as an external battery) with AA and AAA batteries
- Speed charger
- SD card reader
- Alarm clock
- Power cords and charging adapters for my camera, Goal Zero, and tablet


This is my flight bag - this is what I have to keep me company while on the plane (besides my lovely wife).  It includes:
- Spanish dictionaries
- Kleenex
- Magic marker
- Zebra pens with refills
- Mini mechanical pencil
- Travel journal (this essentially has our plan and all of our details for our trip)
- On-the-go cable so I can plug my USB into the tablet
- Tablet (Samsung Galaxy 7.0)
- Camera (Olympus Tough TG-2 iHS) (waterproof, crush proof, freeze proof, drop proof, and awesome)
- iPod with charger
- Waterproof headphones


- Silk sleep liner
- Microfiber towel (full size)


This is my medications bag.  I have:
- Antimalarial tablets
- 5 Ambien (if I absolutely need it)
- Diamox (altitude sickness)
- Cipro (traveler's diahrrea)
- Alkaseltzer cold tablets
- Dramamine
- Tylenol
- Fizz electrolyte tablets
- Pepto Bismol chewables
- GasX
- Salt stick pills to prevent heat stroke/sickness
- Thermometers (small one-time use)



This is awesome camera accessory.  I don't know what it's called, so we'll just call it a camera stick.  My camera stick is pretty awesome, because it can turn a selfie into a regular picture.


As for clothes, I don't wear too many outfits anyway, so this was kind of easy.  Kind of.  From left to right:
- 3 pairs of Exofficio underwear
- 1 extra bra
- 4 pairs of socks
- 1 nice blouse with tank top
- 3 T-shirts (one is quick-dry)
- Long sleeve black shirt (thermal layer)
- REI nylon pants

I was thinking about adding another pair of pants... Until I tried zipping up my pack after this...


These are the clothes and accessories that I will be wearing.
- Black pants
- T-shirt
- Very light hoodie
- ScotteVest wind and water proof jacket (with 26 pockets, so it's easy to organize stuff)
- Socks, Underwear, and Bra
- Oboz hiking shoes (which are awesome and highly recommended)
- Sunglasses
- REI wallet that looks like a map folded up
- Money belt (which includes: passport, immunization records, and some Chilean and Peruvian currency to have on hand right when we arrive)
- The little black thing up top is actually an arm band with a pocket in it; this is where I will have other cash on hand.  This makes it a little harder to steal.)

The little cluster of key chain stuff is blown up here.


So on here, I have:
- Black canister has 4 Micro SD cards: 2 are full of movies, and the other 2 are to back up things or interchange with my camera SD card
- Extra USB drive
- Mini UV light to show dirty stuff on beds
- The "key" is a multi-tool
- Two silver canisters which both have spare emergency money
- Chapstick

This is mostly what I'm going to take.  The things I may add to it are:
- Another pair of pants
- Maybe one more shirt (purple?)

Karis and I will also both be wearing a waterproof USB necklace (that looks like a regular necklace) that will have all of our important information on it in case we lose any important documents (like passport, ID, credit cards, etc.).

And that's that.

No comments:

Post a Comment